Saturday, August 1, 2009

Quick update-we are home.

Hi Everyone,

I have only a couple minutes to write something. We have been home since Thursday night and I have to say things are far from what I thought it would be like. Our flight home...yikes. There is pretty much constant crying and no comforting wanted. Emily is not sleeping and because the foster mom slept with her we are doing the same even though she doesn't want us there. Tough being two years old first of all but this adjustment is so huge. Temper tantrums and lots of crying. She will not let you take off her shoes and insists we all have shoes on. She says in Spanish that she wants to go to her foster mom and she makes the sound of the bus that they would ride on. It is really sad and most difficult is that she doesn't want to be held or comforted. So for now her needs are met and she is safe and loved. (though she doesn't want any touching) she wants to sit in the stroller, she has to hold all "her" things. I can't imagine what she is processing. I talked to a good friend that has adopted also and she says it could be weeks before we see a big change. The lack of sleep is really hard on me and Russell. He is going back to work Monday so we shall see how that is. Emily really likes the kids, but they are tired of the crying. (I don't blame them I feel the same). Of course there are so many emotions going on in each of us here. I have had a couple crying episodes, wondering what in the world are we doing, but I know the big picture and I am sure things will get better soon. Abby has been the best sister and helper. She strolled Emily around the house for hours yesterday. We are all affected by the lack of sleep and the crying. I look forward to the day when things are calmer around here.

Well, there is the latest. I apologize that I haven't called many of you. I have really no free time and have found this to be harder than bringing home a newborn. Please be patient with me as far as calls and email returns. Thanks so much.

We love you all and can't wait for you all to meet Emily. She really is a sweet girl and very cute when she does smile.

I'll write more when I can.

Anne.

2 comments:

mary ruegge said...

My heart goes out to Emily and your family. Take everything day by day--it's got to be impossibly difficult for a 2 year old to understand what just happened in her life but I know with your love, she will come to. May each day bring more smiles than tears. My thoughts are with you all.

LISA said...

Oh Anne....

I cant even imagine what you are going through - all of you & of course, Emily. Please know that we are praying for you....your hearts are SO big - to take on this kind of challenge is an incredible thing. You are showing so many people what it means to love; what God's definition of love is. That's awesome, and Im inspired by all the trials your have been through & your bravity, persistence and hope through it all.

You guys rock. I cant speak from personal experience with adoption....but I know from personal encounters with God that you & your family will be rewarded for your faithfulness. Hang in there....we love you guys & someday very soon we look forward to metting Miss Emily.